Shalom everyone! The following is a diagram of the generations of Noah (Noach), from his son Shem to his 9th great grandson Abraham (Avraham), based upon the accounts of the Book of Genesis (Bereshith) in the Tanakh, the Book of Jasher, and the Book of Jubilees. The descendants of Shem also known as “Shemites,” “Semites” or “Semitic” in the English language. We will discuss these generations of Noah through Shem to Abraham in greater detail in an update of this post. Please stay tuned:
The Generations of Noah: From Shem to Abraham
- Shem married Sedeqetelebab, daughter of Eliakim, and had issue:
- Five sons Elam, Asshur, Arpachshad, Lud and Aram; and
- At least one daughter whose name is unknown. This daughter later married Madai, son of Japheth, and together they became the progenitors of the Medes (Jubilees 10:35-36).
- Elam had issue:
- Three sons Shushan, Machol and Harmon (Jasher 7:15).
- Asshur had issue:
- Two sons Mirus and Mokil (Jasher 7:15).
- Arpachshad married Rasueja daughter of Shushan, son of Elam (Jubilees 8:1), and had issue:
- At least three sons Kainam, Aschol and Anar (Jasher 7:15, Jubilees 8:1).
- Kainam later married Melka daughter of Madai, and had one son Shelah (Jubilees 8:5). In the Books of Genesis and Jasher, Shem is listed as Shelah‘s father; Kainam is not mentioned.
- Arpachshad is also mentioned as the father of Kesed (Jubilees 8:6), progenitor of the Chaldeans (Kasdim) (Jubilees 11:3).
- Kesed had issue one son Ur and one daughter Mu’ak (Jubilees 8:6).
- Shelah married Mu’ak daughter of Kesed (Jubilees 8:6), and had issue one son Eber (Ever/Erverh). Eber is the progenitor of the Hebrews (Israelites, Ishmaelites, Edomites, Moabites, Ammonites, and Qahtanites).
- Eber married Azura daughter of Nebrod (Nimrod), son of Cush, grandson of Ham (Jubilees 8:7). They had two sons Peleg and Joktan (Jasher 7:19-20).
- Peleg married Lomna daughter of Sina’ar, and had issue, two sons Reu (Yen) (Jasher 7:22, Jubilees 10:18)and Kaber (Jubilees 11:7).
- Joktan had issue 13 sons: Almodad, Sheleph, Hazamaveth, Jerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, Obal, Abimael, Sheba, Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab (Jasher 7:21).
- Reu (Yen) married Ora daughter of Ur and had issue, one son Serug (Seroh) (Jubilees 11:1).
- Kaber had issue, one daughter Melka (Jubilees 11:7).
- Serug married Melka daughter of Kaber, and had issue one son Nahor and one daughter Karnebo (Cornebo) (Jubilees 11:8).
- Karnebo married Abram and had issue, one daughter, Edna, also known as Amthelo (Jubilees 11:14-16, Jasher 7:50-51).
- Nahor married Isjaka daughter of Nestag of the Chaldeans and had issue, one son Terah (Jubilees 11:10).
- Terah married Edna/Amthelo daughter of Abram and Karnebo, and had issue, three sons Abram, Nahor and Haran. Abram was named after his maternal grandfather who died before he was born (Jubilees 11:14-16). Abram‘s name was changed many years later by HaShem to “Abraham.”
- Lud had issue:
- Two sons Bizayon and Pethor (Jasher 7:17).
- Aram had issue:
- Four sons Uz, Hul, Gether and Mash (Jasher 7:17).